What are Skin Tags?
A skin tag is a tiny piece of flesh that attached to a stalk. Skin tags are a relatively common benign skin growth and are usually painless and harmless. They are made up of fat, collagen fibres, nerve cells and small blood vessels. Skin tag occurs when collagen fibres and blood vessels are trapped inside a layer of skin, forming a skin tag. Medically known as acrochordon, skin tags are known as soft fibromas or fibroepithelial polyps.
WHAT CAUSES SKIN TAGS?
Usually, skin tags are caused due to friction between skin surfaces, i.e. when skin rubs on the skin. Common areas that skin tags appear are the neck, upper chest, underarms, under the breasts, groins, and eyelids, though they can appear anywhere on your skin. Skin tags often start as small, skin-coloured bumps. They may stay small and go unnoticed, gets bigger and continue to be painless, or become more prominent and become irritated due to friction or pressure.
WHO IS LIKELY TO HAVE SKIN TAGS?
We are not sure exactly what causes skin tags, and there is no way to prevent them from appearing. However, since skin tags are associated with friction between skin surfaces, it is more common in obese or overweight people. Skin tags tends to happen to people whohave diabetes or high cholesterol. Pregnancy may also lead to increased numbers of skin tags, most likely due to hormonal changes in the body. But, for sure, skin tag does not happen to babies, children and young adults.
HOW DO SKIN TAGS MAKE A PERSON FEEL?
Usually, skin tags are painless and do not cause any discomfort. However, sometimes they can get irritated due to rubbing with clothes or jewellery. It also does not help that the weather in Singapore is hot and humid. When the weather is burning hot and humid, skin tends to get clammy and oily. In addition, we sweat a lot, but because of the humidity levels in the air, the sweat does not evaporate, aggravating the skin tag condition. More often, however, the problem with skin tags is at a cosmetic and aesthetic level – they do make you feel self-conscious about your appearance.
SKINTAG CAN CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK.
Our face and body skin look firm and feel smooth when we are young. However, skin tags are often seen as ‘ aged’ or ‘ old.’ usually passed 40 years old, as it does not grow in younger people. It also does not help when other people pass insensitive comments like having severe skin issues, should eat less meat, consuming less sugar. All were good advice but had nothing to do with skin tags.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE SKIN TAGS
Skin tags are usually benign and harmless, and you don’t need to do anything about them. However, skin tags can sometimes start bleeding, change colour, or get irritated. If they are bothering you because of how they affect your appearance, you can consider the following options.
HOW TO REMOVE SKIN TAGS?
Remove Skin Tags at Home
While small skin tags can be removed at home, it is not recommended to do it without consulting a professional. As skin tags are connected by tiny blood vessels, doing it yourself can be painful and lead to bleeding, infection and scarring
Home Remedies and OTC products for removing skin tags in Singapore.
It was said that Toothpaste, Tea tree oil, and Apple cider vinegar are some home remedies utilised to remove skin tags; they work by drying the skin tag to shrink and fall off gradually. Over-the-counter products usually involve freezing kits that utilise cryotherapy to freeze the skin tag with liquid nitrogen, which falls off over 7-10 days. However, such remedies usually take a long time or do not work. This is because we have seen so many ‘ surrender cases’ that eventually appear at our salon.
Medical/ Surgical Removal of Skin Tags
You can get the best skin tag removal in Singapore at aesthetic clinics or beauty salons. The professionals can remove the skin tag in several ways:
- Excision: Your doctor will remove the skin tag with the help of a scalpel or scissors, causing minimal to no pain in the process. If the skin tag is enormous, they might use local anaesthesia. You can visit your trusted GP for that.
- Medical Laser: The aesthetic doctors use a Factional laser to cut and burn the skin tag off. Of all the options, this would be the most costly method, not less than a few hundred dollars for doctor’s consultation and laser services.
- Cryosurgery: Liquid nitrogen is sprayed on the skin tag to freeze it. A small blister may be left behind afterwards, but it heals on its own in a few days. It is a non-invasive technique and is particularly beneficial for bleeding disorders, such as patients on blood-thinning medications.
- Cauterisation: The skin tag is burnt and cauterised using an electric probe. This method does the same job in removing skin tags neatly as the lasers. Cauterisation can also remove moles, warts and milia seeds.
How does Perfect Beauty remove skin tags?
- We first cleanse the affected area thoroughly. If skin tags are on the face, we highly recommend the client do an exfoliating peel first to aid the topical anaesthesia to absorb better, making the treatment much more comfortable. Cauterisation can be done to the roots and promotes healing.
- Topical anaesthesia will be applied to the area for 20 mins.
- Using an electric probe, skin tag removal can be swift and painless.
- One might feel some stinging sensation when washing face at the end of the first day. Scabs will form and eventually drop off after a few days.
- Avoid touching the treated area and keep it clean
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO REMOVE SKIN TAGS?
The cost will vary according to the method you choose, but usually, it will lie in the range of $250 upwards for treatment at an aesthetic clinic. For minor skin tags, the most economical way would be to visit your trusted beauty salon, where they can be excised at minimal costs. Perfect Beauty charges from $10 onwards depending on the size and the number of skin tags removal required. We would be able to quote you the charges without any hidden fees. Cauterisation can also remove moles, warts and milia seeds.
Skin tags are painless and harmless flaps of skin and fat and usually do not require you to do anything about them. However, suppose they are bothering you regarding your looks, then please pay Perfect Beauty- Bedok a visit. We have more than 20 years of experience in skin tag removal in Singapore.